Monday, May 23, 2016

Surprisingly a lot of rain

Oh no. Here I go. It's my turn and all of the posts have been so great and I'm giving it my best shot.


We type this fun blog on our little iPad here so there may be a lot of spelling errors.

Who am I? I'm CeCe '16 and I go to Shanti Dan (a home for young girls with a range of disabilities).

 First off, India is crazy. I studied abroad in Beijing last year and I keep relating it back to Kolkata. It's loud, noisy, polluted yet so interesting with surprisingly nice people regardless of our foreign status. Today it's about 4 in the afternoon and I'm sitting in a thunderstorm. Currently I look out from the wifi hotspot and see a man climbing a bamboo ladder trying to cut back the dead palm tree leaves. The biggest difference beteeen here and home, everything is so much more simple. Maybe a little riskier but simple in this "beautiful chaos" as Mo called it.



I hope this picture shows up....much more difficult on this thing than expected (look to the left for the palm tree guy)

Some of the things we've done include seeing Kaligat temple named after the Hindu god Kali. She's
the goddess of distraction and if you do a quick google image search, she'll have her tounge hang  out is depicted as a black figure, quite scary actually. Interestingly enough, Kali is destructive but also helps depict a sense of renewal.

This is exactly what I feel volunteering Kolkata Has done to us, it makes us renew ourselves in our ways of thinking, our  ways of life and the ways we experience in the world.

Even though we haven't been here long...my group at our volunteer house Shanti Dan, already welcomed new volunteers. Only 3days in and we're the veterans. It's mind blowing to think about and meet all of the people that come through to help this amazing place.

Let the laundry and heat continue as we venture to FreeSet tomorrow!


I'll leave you with a picture of one of the many cool types of transportation in Kolkata


No comments:

Post a Comment